Saturday, May 9, 2009

It was a rainy day.

Last night's workout left me stiff and sore, so I thought that this rainy morning would be a good time to crawl around on the floor pinning out a three-foot doily. A couple months ago I 'borrowed back' the Kinzel Sun Ray I had made for my sister, to add to my shawl workshop examples. It came complete with a huge mustard stain (I think it was mustard) which I was able to remove. Here is a picture of it starched, stretched and drying:

While and all it makes a beautiful table centrepiece, it would also make a nice shawl.


This piece was made of the left-overs from a cone of 5/2 cotton I used to make the four-foot Rose of England table centrepiece for my ex's mother (who I still fondly refer to as my MIL, even though I now have a new MIL-to-be).


Speaking of shawls, last weekend saw me cross the half-way point for the points around the outside edge of the Orkney Pi. Another month, by my estimate, and the Orkney Pi will be laid out on the sheet in the photo above.


Here is a picture of the Orkney Pi with some of the edging in natural form:



Before I show the other pieces I starched today, here is a sneek peak at the project for the February issue of Knit Together. The test knitting is most enjoyable because of the yarn I'm using. If you can get near any Sirdar Baby Bamboo, go for it!


And now, the other two pieces. If you're going to work up a batch of starch, you may as well make the most of it!

On the left is a doily I knitted years ago from a McCall's special. The pattern was funky, because you knit the centre, then the openwork ends, then pick up stitches all around and work the outer border. It's a pill to stretch accurately, and it uses up every pin in the house. The square one is from the Anna/Burda special that is still the buzz on lace knit lists. The pattern is a bit boring, however, it, too could be expanded to make a beautiful shawl, in either a square or triangle format.



Now I'm going to get some lunch, then clear off this tremendously messy desk, and do some paperwork!

2 comments:

Deb @ cabinfever said...

They all look fantastic. I love the square one at the bottom. I can't believe you do all that involved knitting so quickly.

Cynthia said...

uh huh. quickly. Yeah, right. I just *blocked* those pieces last weekend... I knit most of them years ago, except for the Orkney Pi, which I started on September 23, 2008.

But thanks for giving me the superhuman knitting powers, though!